pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

Chad Hugo of The Neptunes, "Roc Boys (Clarinet Remix)"

I was a band nerd growing up. I played drums for the marching band and the orchestra as well as a little flute. When I went to college, I traded in my drum sticks for a turntable, but I still felt proud when I saw little kids walking down the street carrying a trumpet or a flute case.

Nowadays, I don't seem like too many kids carrying instruments, which saddens me.

The reason why I am such a fan of The Neptunes is because they never shied away from the fact that they were also band nerds,( hence the name N.E.R.D.)

The problem with Hip Hop is that there are too many producers who proudly say that they don't know how to play instruments.

Although there a few successful producers like Primo or Diddy who can make this claim, the reality is that if you want to be a successful producer who span decades like Quincy Jones, take the time the learn the craft.

Even if you have the gift of musicality in your head, learn the nuisances of song construction or listen to different types of music to make yourself a better producer or artist.

The reason I like this clip of The Neptune's Chad Hugo playing Jay Z's "Roc Boys" on clarinet is that he is playing it on a a clarinet!

Clarinet is not the coolest instrument to play, but the clip shows Hugo's musicality, which helped him and his partner go from producing Jay-Z to Madonna with relative ease.


Chad Hugo Playing Roc Boys from Dumskeme on Vimeo.

No comments: