pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Morris Day Talks to Essence.com

(Essence.com)
Twenty five years ago, a few artists revolutionized the film world with the big screen biopic "Purple Rain" the chronicled the life of Prince. However, a smooth-talking, well-dressed character named Morris Day, with his unadulterated humor and fashion flair, was indelibly sketched in our minds.

Better known as the frontman of The Time, Morris Day and Prince first met in high school and their musical bond has never been broken. ESSENCE.com caught up with the Minneapolis native to talk about the significance of that film in catapulting his career, the first time he met Prince, and why his player card hasn't been revoked.

ESSENCE.COM: It's been a quarter of a century since the debut of the cult classic. How did it change the game?

MORRIS DAY: It was such a pure effort for everybody involved. We were all signed to Prince's production company and he told us that we were going to do a film and everyone was like, "Yeah right, whatever!" The next thing you knew we were all supposed to take dance and acting lessons, which I kind of thought was ridiculous. I stopped taking the dance classes and got kicked out of the acting classes for cutting up so bad. Ironically, the thing that I stood out for the most in the film was cutting up like I always did in class in high school. It was such a slap in the face to the acting coach who booted me and kept trying to make me be so serious.

ESSENCE.COM: Would you say that sent your career to another stratosphere?
DAY: Absolutely. Prior to that, I had been getting up before the sun doing a lot of odd and ends jobs like fixing computers and putting together big lawn mower machines. Some might think I was a handyman, but I'm not and that's why I could never keep those jobs. But it was a lot of work and a lot of fun.

ESSENCE.COM: Some consider you Prince's alter ego. How'd you two meet?
DAY: In high school, I went to see Prince's band, Grand Central, perform. They had an after-school hours talent show In the lunchroom with Andre Cymon, Prince's cousin, Charles, and they were all like 13 and 14 years old playing like grown men. I was I was blown away by their talent. I was a drummer and me and Andre became cool and skipped school a few times together (laughs). About three months after I went to see them play, me and Andre were at my house and I played the drums for him and he was shocked that I could play so we. Next thing I know they had been having problems with their drummer and he was out and I was in maybe about three months.

ESSENCE.COM: Was your sudden notoriety after the film overwhelming?
DAY: It was overwhelming as far as the nationwide recognition. Minneapolis folks were treating us differently. Before we'd have to pay to get in a club and buy drinks, and finally when we could afford it we were getting everything for free. It was all interesting because when we were struggling and could have used the help we didn't get it, but now we were. Now, I have manageable level of celebrity where I can still do things and some might be shocked when they see me out and acknowledge while others don't acknowledge me at all, so it goes both ways.

ESSENCE.COM: Your musical generation defied conformity. What about today's new artists?
DAY: I simply don't see originality. Beyonce, she's the real deal, and I dig Snoop Dogg. I'm a song person and every once in a while someone puts out something catchy. I come from the school where you perform from the first not to the last. We used to do our own handclaps on the song until it causes calluses now we can just push a button. Today, artists are more computer savvy than they are music savvy.

ESSENCE.COM: Indeed. So before you go we have to know is Morris Day still the player his fans imagine him to be?
DAY: (Laughs.) Oh yeah, that card's still in the center compartment of the ride!

http://www.essence.com/news_entertai...ys_morris_day/

No comments: