pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pipes & Beauty: Melanie Fiona's Rise to Fame



R&B powehouse Melaine Fiona seem to come out of nowhere, but in actuality her ""overnight success" took many twists and turns.

“I’m Canadian, I’m West Indian, and I want my music to reflect that. When it came to making my album, I wanted to do what was natural to me,” she says. But as great as that sentiment sounds, the music industry isn’t one that enjoys categorical anomalies. “People in the industry didn’t know what to make of me: ‘are you a reggae artist, like the female Sean Paul? Are you trying to be like Rihanna?’ The more people tried to put boundaries on me, the more that made me want to make music without boundaries.”

Read more about Melanie Fiona, including how going on tour with Kanye West led to her musical breakthrough with The Roots drummer and Late Night With Jimmmy Fallon band leader, ?uestove in "The Musical Odyssey of Melanie Fiona" on Okayplayer.com.

No comments: