pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Country Music Still Can Be Cool: Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" is a Gem



Back when I was growing up, Country music was pretty cool. You had the outlaws in Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash.

Kenny Rogers was working with Lionel Richie and busting out hits like Lady and Through The years and 38. Special introduced southern rock into the musical equation with songs like Hang on Loosely" and "Caught Up in You".

However in recent years, country music has gone a bit glossy. There are very few if any outlaws (Sorry Toby Keith) and the guys are as pretty now as the gals.

However while I was watching the Grammy's Sunday, I heard a song that reminded me of the old days Urban Cowboy days.

While Taylor Swift was capturing the majority of the Grammy love that night, a country group I never heard of named Lady Antebellum sauntered onto the stage a sang a song called "Need You Now".

The first thing that hit was that it was a old fashioned duet duet that reminded me of one of those light rock tunes back in the day.

The second was the lyric, "It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk and I need you now".

It was as if Waylon Jennings came back for a few minutes and drop an old honky tonk lyric in middle of love song.

While Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" is not a signal that the country music I listened back in the day,its cool to hear that country music still can be little rough around the edges once in awhile.

No comments: