pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

LA Weekly: "Skee-Lo Wished He Was a Little Bit Taller. Then He Promptly Retired"


Skee-Lo - I Wish by matricule1967

"...I retired five months after it ("I Wish")  was released," Skee-Lo says, drinking coffee at the Denny's on Crenshaw and 37th, a few blocks from the home he shares with his wife and two children. "Not only did my label [Sunshine] take credit for producing 'I Wish,' they took all the profits. So I refused to shoot any more videos, promote or record music. I'm not their slave. I wasn't working for free.

.....After a half-decade of legal battles, Skee-Lo wrangled back his publishing rights. He proudly notes that he receives every cent when the song is purchased and played today. But even though he kept busy doing shows during his "retirement," his recording hiatus left him adrift and depressed, even after the royalty money kicked in.

"It got to the point where I told my wife and children that I didn't want to live anymore," Skee-Lo says of his low ebb five years ago. "Then a voice spoke to me clearly and said, 'At what point in your life were you truly happy."

Read more here

No comments: