pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

Three Thoughts on: Nashville, Jersey Shore and Anna Chulmsky

I'm starting a new thing this week, where I give my random thoughts on the world of popular culture.

I snagged this idea from the Cleveland "Queen of Media" Leah Haslage, Life with Leah blog, so I hope she doesn't sue me for co-opting her weekly segment, but I'm sure she'll forgive me...I hope.

 Alright let's get started!

 1.) I really dig.....ABC's new show Nashville.

Don't be put off if you are not  country fan because the soapy "Nashville" is more story-driven than it is music driven.

Although the base of "Nashville" is  around country music, its core really built around on and off stage  trappings, complexities and shadiness of the music industry, (to paraphrase Allen Iverson when he was defending his unreleased rap album back in the day : "If you are into sex, greed and backstabbing this show is for you!") 

 Trust me, once you get into the storylines and watch the performances by Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere, you will see very quickly realize that "Nashville" is  more way more "Dallas" than it is "Hee Haw."

2.) I'm shocked by.... the stellar return of Anna Chulmsky 

Who knew the little girl from the 90's kid film "My Girl"  with Macaulay Culkin  would turn a jaw dropping performance playing a "50 Shades of Grey" inspired author on Law & Order SVU along with her star turn on HBO's Veep.


Chulmsky who seemingly disappeared after "My Girl" (she attended the University of Chicago, majoring in International Studies)  basically looks the same, but she has added more acting depth while not carrying  the off-screen baggage that  has befallen many child stars into adulthood.

If only we could say the same for Culkin

 


3.) I'm not cool with...the two hour version of Jersey Shore.

I still like Snookie, "The Sitch" and the rest of the "Jersey Shore" crew, but asking me to devote two hours each week to "Gym, Tan, Laundry" is a bit much to ask.

However, I can say the same for "X-Factor", "The Voice", "Dancing with The Stars" and other programs that are asking viewers to dedicate two-three hours each week for one show.

 One of the reasons why "Survivor" and the "Amazing Race" on CBS has maintained their ratings dominance is because both  them have remained one hour formats. By doing so, they are letting their viewers know that they won't manipulate their show for sake of advertising dollars, which is basically the reason why for the bloated two hour format.



Yet in network's haste to squeeze as much money as they can out of their franchises as possible, the ratings of these two hour shows including those "Jersey Shore" series finale have begun to dip (or maybe viewers don't like the fact the cast have matured some) .

Although you can't blame the networks for making money, If  they continue to manipulate the audience, these two hour shows will quickly end up being  no-hour shows in the not so distant future. 

What are your thoughts on two hour shows?

Catch more of pop culture and social media tweets @kevinlockett on Twitter 

 

No comments: