pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Top 140 Songs for a Valentine's Day Mixtape




Inspired by Leah Haslage’s Valentine’s Day Playlist, where she listed some great love songs in different categories like "Love Stinks and "Get Your Sexy On", I decided to create the  Valentine’s Day Mixtape with a slightly urban feel to it. 

Ladies, since I'm alone on V'Day feel free to pass along a valentine or two...just don't tell your man!!

Guys, here's a dating tip: Mixtapes don't get you much lovin' if you give it to a lady as a gift.  

However these songs are great to set the mood..just don't use too many songs from the "Break To Make Up" list; musically they are great, but they could be definite mood killers.  

Now that's out of the way, let's get it on! (Which didn't make the list, but is still a classic)

It’s About To Go Down
1.)    Simply Beautiful-Al Green
2.)    I Want You-Erykah Badu
3.)    Moments in Love-Art of Noise
4.)    Bump N Grind- R. Kelly
5.)    Funny How Time Flies-Janet Jackson
6.)    Baby Come To Me-James Ingram and Patti Austin
7.)    One on One-Hall and Oates
8.)    I’ll Make Love To You-Boyz II Men
9.)    Let Me Be Your Angel-Stacy Lattisaw
10.) Inside My Love-Minnie Ripperton
11.) Say Yes-Floetry
12.) Love You Down-Ready For The World
13.) Fire and Desire-Rick James and Teena Marie
14.) Do Me Baby- Prince
15.) Flex-Mad Cobra
16.) Between The Sheets- The Isley Brothers
17.) Red Light Special –TLC
18.)  How Deep is Your Love-Keith Sweat
19.) Fortunate-Maxwell
20.) Soul Searchin-Me’Shell N’Degeocello
21.) Juicy Fruit-Mtume
22.) Whip Appeal-Babyface
23.) Love TKO-Teddy Pendergrass
24.) I Want You-Marvin Gaye
25.) Feelin On Yo Booty-R. Kelly
26.) Lady-D'Angelo
27.) Love Ballad-L.T.D. featuring Jeffery Osborne
28.) Freenk N U-Joedci


Love and Hip Hop
1.)    All I Need –Method Man and Mary J. Blige
2.)    Excuse Me Miss- Jay-Z and Pharrell
3.)    Bonita Applebaum-A Tribe Called Quest
4.)    Doin It-LL Cool J
5.)    21 Questions- 50 Cent
6.)    The Light-Common
7.)    What’s it Going to Be –Busta Rhymes and Janet 
8.)    The Sweetest Thing-Lauryn Hill
9.)    Passing Me By-The Pharcyde
10.) The Prototype-Outkast/Andre 3000
11.) Eric B and Rakim-Mahogany
12.) Give it to Me-Busta Rhymes and Mariah Carey
13.) Luv U Betta-LL Cool J
14.) Splash Waterfalls-Ludacris
15.) Ms. Phat Booty-Mos Def
16.) One More Chance-Notorious B.I.G.
17.) Is it Good To You-Heavy D and The Boyz 
18.) One Love-Whodini
19.) That Girl-Pharrell
20.)  I Want to Know What’s On Your Mind-Eric B and Rakim
21.)Love Sick-Gang Starr
22.)Come Closer-Common and Mary J. Blige
23.)Take You There-Pete Rock and CL Smooth
24.) I Need A Girl Part 2-Puff Daddy, Loon, and Mario
25.) Sexual Seduction-Snoop Dogg
26.) Never Been in Love-Talib Kweli featuring Just Blaze
27.) Mind Sex-Dead Prez
28.) Like You-Bow Wow and Ciara


 Break Up To Make Up 
1.)    Can We Try-Dan Hill and Vonda Sheppar
2.)    Keep Forgettin’-Michael McDonald
3.)    Heart to Heart-Kenny Loggins
4.)    Baby I’m Back-Player
5.)    At This Moment-Billy Vera
6.)    We Can’t Be Friends-Deborah Cox-R.L. from Next
7.)    Lately-Jodeci/Stevie Wonder
8.)    Is This The End-New Edition
9.)    Superstar/House is Not a Home-Luther Vandross/The Carpenters
10.) Tell Me if You Still Care-S.O.S. Band
11.) Where Did We Go Wrong -LTD feat. Jeffery Osborne
12.) Ex-Factor-Lauryn Hill
13.) Broken Hearted-Brandy and Wayna from Boyz II Men
14.) Goodbye Love-Guy
15.) The Hardest Thing-98 Degrees
16.) I’d Die Without You-PM Dawn
17.) Giggolos Get Loney Too-The Time
18.) Nothing Compares 2 U-The Family
19.) It Ain’t Over Till it’s Over-Lenny Kravitz
20.) Hear My Call-Jill Scott
21.) I'm Still in Love-Sean Paul
22.) It's Not Fair-Glenn Lewis
23.) Bringin' on The Heartache-Def Leppard
24.) You Are So Beautiful-Joe Cocker

25.) Against All Odds- The Phil Collins
26.) Come Back to Me-Janet Jackson
27.) I Just Wanna Stop-Gino Vanelli
28.) How Much I FeelYou-Jodeci 
Love is A Four Letter Word
1.)    When I Fall in Love-Nat King Cole
2.)    All I Need-Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell
3.)    Spend My Life with You- Tamia and Eric Benet
4.)    Lady in My Life-Michael Jackson
5.)    For The Lover in You-Shalamar
6.)    Sara Smile-Hall and Oates
7.)    Before I Let You Go-BlackStreet
8.)    Adore-Prince
9.)    Love Me in A Special Way-DeBarge
10.) Hello/Truly-Lionel Richie
11.) My First, My Last, My Everything-Barry White
12.) Always-Atlantic Starr
13.) Something-The Beatles
14.) Lady-Kenny Rogers
15.) Endless-Lionel Richie and Diana Rosss
16.) So Amazing-Paul McCartney
17.) Joanna-Kool and The Gang
18.) Anything For You-Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine
19.) Iris-Goo Goo Dolls
20.) Anniversary-Tony, Toni, Tone
21.) You Mean The World To Me-Toni Braxton
22.) Kiss Me-Sixpence The Richer
23.) Nobody Does it Better-Carly Simon
24.) If You Love Me-Brownstone
25.) The Closer I Get To You-Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway
26.) Computer Love-Zapp featuring Charlie Wilson
27.) Jody Watley-Everything
28.) On Bended Knee-Boyz II Men

College Crush Playlist
1.)    I Like It-DeBarge
2.)    Forever My Lady-Jodeci
3.)    If I Ever Fall in Love-Shai
4.)    Slow Jam-Midnight Star
5.)    Differences-Ginuwine
6.)    Anytime-Brian McKnight
7.)    You Don’t Know My Name-Alicia Keys
8.)    Weak-SWV
9.)    Pretty Brown Eyes-Mint Condition
10.) Nobody’s Suppose To Be Here-Deborah Cox
11.) You Give Good Love-Whitney Houston
12.) One in a Million-Aaliyah
13.)  Two Occasions-The Deele
14.) Slow Dance-R. Kelly
15.) Let’s Get Married-Jagged Edge
16.) Saturday Love-Alexander O'neal and Cherelle
17.) Can We Talk/I'm Ready-Tevin Campbell
18.) Next Lifetime-Erykah Badu
19.) Cross My Mind-Jill Scott
20.) Butta Love-Next
21.) Pony-Ginuwine
22.) I Like-Kut Close
23.) Anywhere-112
24.) Joe-I Want To Know
25.) Come and Talk to Me/Stay-Jodeci
26.) All Because of You-Marques Houston
27.) I Get So Lonely-Janet Jackson
28.) All I Do is Think of You-Troop/Jackson 5


 What's your favorite V'Day song?



2 comments:

Leah said...

It’s About To Go Down

3) Great song, classic, but stays in my head all damn day!
6) LOVE
7) see #6
14) I almost put this one on my list. Obv all of Prince <3
16) HELL YES!

Love & Hip Hop

2) Somehow forgot this song. Such a great jam and it made me giddy to read it on this list
4) Hell. Yes.
14) This song makes my lady parts happy

Break Up To Make Up (which is a great song!)

Ok, Here’s where I cry…
2) perfection
4) Almost put on my list. One of my break up songs
5) I cant remember if this was on my list, but it was considered. Another one of my break up songs. Ive gone through a lot of break-ups clearly…
9) oh, yes…
11) I balled the 1st time heard this song. Was it 1999?
15) I cry when I listen to this, except at my Sweet Sixteen party, which is when this song came out. I remember that because I taped (yes, taped) the Big 9 at 9 on Jammin 92 and it was like, number 8 lol.
16) Reading this on your list chocked me up. This song, 20 years later, still gives me chills. This and Set Adrift…
17) Lol, I love Morris Day…
25) Classic.

Love Is A Four Letter Word. (begins with an F…j/k)

5) Almost made my list
6) My fav Hall & Oates song of all-time
8) Clearly.
10) I still have this vinyl 
12) The wedding song of every couple in the 80s
13) From my fav Beatles Album of all time, and this song was about the same woman Clapton wrote Layle/Wonderful Tonight about. Beautiful
22) <3

College Crush

1) Love it!
3) oooh this one makes me cry too
17) Many fond memories listening to this song!
18) another one of my fav break up songs (& unrequited love)
27) Oh Miss Jackson..perfect choice. This is also a great getting down song ;)

soul88 said...

Thanks Leah!

The crazy thing about that list is that even though I stopped it 140 songs, there so many songs I could still put on here.

(Sorry Celine's Dion's "Calling You", Patti Labelle's "If Only You Knew" Chaka Kahn's "Tell Something Good"/"Through The Fire" Tyrese's "Sweet Lady", Loose End's "Hanging on a String", Karyn White's "Superwoman" and Earth, Wind and Fire's "Reasons), but I had to stop!!)

OK, let's get it crackin'!

It does seem like you have had quite a few break ups. Not sure what happened there, but If you were a songwriter like Diane Warren or Babyface, you would be worth rich!!!!

(I think you might be one of the few who actually realize how good 98 Degrees' "Hardest Thing" really is; Sure they were a boy band, but those are some hardcore dumping lyrics...but song)

While I was looking over your break up comments, I started to think what is worse:

Breaking up with someone, you having feelings for someone, but they don't feel the same?

At least with the break up, I saw the good, the bad and the ugly, but unrequited love leaves you hanging in a "what if" state.

On the flip side songs, like "Moments in Love", "Baby Come To Me", "Splash Waterfalls" and "In Between The Sheets , basically says love no or no love, it's time to get down to BIZNESS!

The songs set the tempo and you have to either keep up or get off the bus (if that makes any sense).

I think people how many great songs Janet Jackson made.

If all you had on your Ipod was "Funny How Time Flies", "Come Back To Me", "I Get So Lonely" 70s's Love Grove and "Anytime, Anyplace", someone is about to get pregnant!

Its some ways both of our Get Down/Its About to Go Down lists are like yoga classes:

It starts off slow and steady, then it speeds until exhaustion then cool session down begins, (Namaste bedroom freaks!)

I was actually surprised how many songs that was on my Love and Hip Hop list.

I had some songs in my head like "Bonita Applebaum" and "Doin It", but as I kept on researching, I realized although there are far more memorable rap love songs that people don't realize

I was never a big fan of LL Cool J's "I Need Love", so just like you left off J. Geils' "Love Stinks", I did the same because it was too obvious.

However, Jay-Z's "Excuse Me Miss" is pretty underrated love ballad and the groove is just fire! I can see myself all suited, talking to some hot media chick in an elevator (Hello Aerosmith's "Love in a Elevator".)

I almost made "Excuse me Miss"
#1 (its really 1B), but what Method and Mary J Blige did with a Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell "All I Need" is just pure genius!

I think my "Mixtape" list harkens back to my DJing days.

I use to enjoy putting together playlists that the audience would have a connection with..thanks to you, I was able to put this in blog spot form.

(The toughest thing was trying not to use the same songs you did, I think my list might be 99% different, but I'm not sure at this point.)


Finally, nice touch having the Lionel Richie on vinyl (you are true old soul indeed) and "Splash Waterfalls" has just become my new ringtone, so start tingling away!

...okay its not, but I did enjoy your comment ;)