pCloud Premium

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

W Kamau Bell on The Cancellation of Totally Biased


So… that happened.
Although what DID happen with Totally Biased has happened thousands of times in the history of show business… nay the world. It goes like this. Person gets job. Person works hard at job. Person loses job. My whole career I’ve seen talented comics get opportunities that I thought, “WOW! That is definitely going to be the THING for her!” And then I’ve seen that thing not become the THING. This is just my time for that. I thought Totally Biased was going to be my “THING!” I worked hard to make it so, and it didn’t happen. So now I get the chance to find a new “THING” and to see how that goes. That’s amazing. The show was canceled. I’m not canceled. 99.999% of stand-up comics don’t get this far. If I’m really lucky, what we did on Totally Biased will be remembered long after it stops airing. Heck, my mom is still mad that they canceled Frank’s Place. (Google it. It was great.)
The one thing I truly hope is that whoever the next comic is to be considered for a show doesn’t get judged by my lack of… you know… still having show. I hope John Landgraf and the beautiful people at FX (and FXX) continue to take chances on the underdogs. Their batting average is kind of amazing. I hope this doesn’t bum them out too much.
I am very proud of Totally Biased. The Lindy West / Jim Norton debate was amazing. For the rest of my career I will chase the highs of Sikh vs Sheikh. Hell, I got to talk to Rachel Maddow for nearly TEN MINUTES! I learned I like talking to random people on the street about real things; (I will be more proud of Anything to Say to a White Guy than anything else I do in my career.) Also I got to have one of my heroes, Vernon Reid of Living Colour, write me a theme song. I was able to work closely with the comedy Jedi Chris Rock. And, above it all, I was able to employ some awesome comics with original voices. Many of whom are my friends… and who will hopefully forgive how crazy I have been the last several months.
There are so many people who worked on the show. So many talented people who have much more experience in TV than I have (not hard to beat since I had none before this.) And they humbled themselves to pull in my direction, even when they sometimes had no idea where we were all headed. I appreciate all of their support. I will never forget it.

Read the rest  at wkamaubell.com

No comments: